Kazakh copper miners end 3-day underground strike
By Robin Paxton and Mariya Gordeyeva
ALMATY (Reuters) - About 300 Kazakh miners called off an underground strike on Sunday, accepting a promise of higher wages from employer Kazakhmys (KAZ.L: Quote) after a three-day protest that unnerved authorities in the Central Asian state following deadly riots in an oil town.
London-listed Kazakhmys, the world's No. 11 copper producer, said all of the striking miners had come out of the mine in central Kazakhstan after senior managers agreed to raise wages and promised not to punish workers for the dispute.
"The labor dispute at the Annensky mine is over. The mine is returning to work," Kazakhmys, part of Britain's benchmark FTSE 100 index .FTSE, said in a statement.
About 80 miners failed to leave the mine after their Friday shift at Annensky finished. They were joined by more than 200 workers from two nearby mines owned by Kazakhmys, a source at the company said, requesting anonymity.
Authorities in Kazakhstan, a former Soviet republic of 16.7 million, are especially wary of labor unrest in single-industry towns after a months-long dispute involving sacked oil workers last year erupted into the country's worst violence in decades.
At least 14 people were killed in clashes in December when police used live ammunition against protesters in the oil town of Zhanaozen. The unrest posed the most serious challenge to President Nursultan Nazarbayev in his more than 20 years in power.
That violence was preceded by months of protests by nearly 2,000 oil workers sacked by KazMunaiGas Exploration Production RDGZ.KZ KMGq.L after going on strike in May. The oil company had said the strikes were illegal.
Kazakhmys has so far adopted a more conciliatory stance with the miners at Annensky, one of six underground mines near the central Kazakh city of Zhezkazgan that fall under its control. Continued...