Indonesia allows Freeport to restart underground mining

Tue Jul 9, 2013 3:10am EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Fergus Jensen

JAKARTA (Reuters) - Freeport McMoRan Copper and Gold Inc (FCX.N: Quote) received Indonesian government permission on Tuesday to resume underground operations at the world's second-biggest copper mine, nearly two months after a tunnel cave-in that killed 28 people.

The government, which gave the go-ahead for a resumption of open pit mining last month, said the decision followed the completion of an independent investigation into the accident at the huge Grasberg mine in remote West Papua.

"From everything that has been done, that has been taken into consideration, including pressure from the community and local government, (we) have decided ok, it's safe," Deputy Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Susilo Siswoutomo said in a prepared statement.

Freeport Indonesia President Director Rozik Soetjipto told a media conference it would take one month for underground mining operations at the mine to hit full capacity.

Open-pit mining has been running at full capacity since July 4.

The open-pit mine normally produces between 140,000 metric tons (1 metric ton = 1.1023 tons) and 150,000 metric tons of copper ore per day, while output from the underground operations is 80,000 metric tons.

Freeport was forced to declare force majeure on copper shipments after the accident.

This had yet to be lifted, Soetjipto said.   Continued...