Apple loses latest bid to block e-books antitrust monitor
By Nate Raymond and Joseph Ax
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Apple Inc on Monday lost its latest bid to put a court-appointed antitrust monitor on hold, after a federal appeals court rejected its argument that the monitor's work was causing it irreparable harm.
In a brief order, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York said that monitor Michael Bromwich may continue to examine Apple's antitrust compliance policies while the company pursues a broader appeal seeking to remove him altogether.
However, the court's order addressed some of Apple's concerns, making it clear that there are limits to the monitor's powers.
An Apple spokesman declined to comment.
In a statement, a Department of Justice spokeswoman said the government was pleased with the decision.
"Today's ruling makes abundantly clear that Apple must now cooperate with the court-appointed monitor," said the spokeswoman, Gina Talamona.
U.S. District Judge Denise Cote installed Bromwich in October, three months after she found Apple liable for conspiring with five publishers to raise e-book prices.
Since then, Apple has fought a losing battle to put Bromwich on ice, complaining that he has aggressively and improperly sought interviews with key executives and broad access to company documents beyond the scope of his duties. Continued...