South Korea trade deal draws fire from Canadian auto sector

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:16pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Susan Taylor

TORONTO (Reuters) - A new free trade agreement with South Korea will throw a wrench into Canada's auto sector recovery, union leaders and an automaker warned on Tuesday, highlighting the pressure on an industry already struggling with competition from Mexico.

The pact, which immediately drew fire from Ford Motor Co of Canada Ltd (F.N: Quote) and Canada's largest private-sector union, underscores problems with the size and cost of cars being produced in the country's industrial heartland, experts said.

"We don't, in Canada, build the type of vehicles that are much in demand in South Korea," said Tony Faria, a University of Windsor professor and auto industry expert. "It's not as if any trade deal we set up with South Korea is necessarily going to result in more vehicles being exported."

Canada and South Korea said earlier on Tuesday they had wrapped up talks on a long-delayed free trade deal, Canada's first in fast-growing Asia. Canada's Conservative government touted the benefits of the deal, which is expected to boost farm product exports.

But Unifor, a union representing more than 39,000 workers in the country's auto sector, estimates that 33,000 manufacturing jobs in Canada could be lost from the pact, including up to 4,000 auto assembly and parts jobs.

"I wouldn't say it's the death of the industry, but it's another nail (in the coffin)," said Jerry Dias, Unifor's national president.

In 2013, the auto sector employed 117,200 people in Canada, according to Statistics Canada. Some 96,700 of those jobs, or nearly 83 percent, were in Ontario, the most populous province.

Ford Canada Chief Executive Dianne Craig was equally harsh.   Continued...

 
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper (L) answers questions from reporters as South Korean President Park Geun-hye listens during a joint news conference after their meeting at the presidential Blue House in Seoul, March 11, 2014. REUTERS/Lee Jin-man/Pool