DuPont rejects Peltz's proposal to add four nominees

Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:51pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

(Reuters) - DuPont DD.N rejected hedge fund Trian Fund Management LP's proposal to add two nominees each to the chemical conglomerate's board and the board of a unit the company plans to spin off, in a letter to activist investor Nelson Peltz.

The company said on Friday that it was prepared to accept one of Peltz's nominees, John Myers, in an attempt to end a proxy war with Trian.

Peltz told CNBC on Thursday that DuPont's offer of one board seat was not enough.

Peltz wants two of his fund's nominees, including himself, on the DuPont Board and two on the board of Chemours, the performance chemicals business DuPont plans to spin off later this year.

Direct representation by a Trian principal cannot result in a "mutually acceptable resolution", DuPont said in the letter, which follows Peltz's call with DuPont Chief Executive Ellen Kullman on March 11. (1.usa.gov/18jzhqi)

Trian, which owns a 2.7 percent stake in DuPont, has been urging the company to spin off its volatile materials business, a proposal that has been repeatedly rebuffed.

Since its investment, "Trian has been singularly focused on a high-risk agenda to break up and add excessive debt to DuPont," Kullman said in the letter.

Trian said in February that it was "open-minded" about keeping the company together.

DuPont named two of its own nominees, Ed Breen and Jim Gallogly, as directors last month, rebuffing Peltz's demand for a board seat.   Continued...

 
A view of the Dupont logo on a sign at the Dupont  Chestnut Run Plaza  facility near Wilmington, Delaware, April 17, 2012.  REUTERS/Tim Shaffer