U.S. GAO dismisses Lockheed protest of $6.75 bln Oshkosh Army deal
By Andrea Shalal
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Government Accountability Office on Tuesday dismissed Lockheed Martin Corp's (LMT.N: Quote) protest of a $6.75 billion Army contract for next-generation Humvees to Oshkosh OSK.N after Lockheed said it would take the issue to federal court.
The GAO said its decision to dismiss the protest was based on Lockheed's announcement that it would file a protest over the lost contract with the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. A clerk with the court said the protest had not yet been filed.
"Our office will not decide a protest where the matter involved is the subject of litigation before a court of competent jurisdiction," the GAO said in a statement.
The GAO had been poised to rule on the merits of the case by Thursday but dismissed it once it moved to the federal courts.
Oshkosh said it would resume work on the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle trucks after the U.S. Army lifted a stop-work order that was imposed when Lockheed filed its protest with the GAO in September.
Under the contract, Oshkosh will begin delivering vehicles within the next 10 months, reaching an expected volume of nearly 17,000 vehicles, as well as kits and sustainment services over an eight-year period. Winning the contract could put Oshkosh in a prime position to bid for a total of 55,000 vehicles worth around $30 billion over time.
Lockheed declined to comment. Army officials had no immediate comment.
Jeff Bialos, a former Pentagon official and partner with the Sutherland Asbill & Brennan law firm, said moving protests from the GAO to federal court was a "known and used tactic." Continued...