2 Min Read
TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp on Friday said it has suspended production at three plants affected by an explosion earlier this week at a supplier factory, adding that it expected production to fully resume by the beginning of next week.
The blast on Monday was at a factory of Aisin Advics Co, a major maker of breaking systems majority owned by Toyota group supplier Aisin Seiki Co.
Toyota said it would cancel one of two production shifts on two lines at a plant operated by group company Hino Motors Ltd. Earlier in the day, it scrapped shifts on a line at its Toyota East Japan plant and at a plant operated by group company Daihatsu Motor Co Ltd.
The suspensions would be the third this year. They follow supply-chain disruption caused by earthquake damage to a factory operated by an Aisin Seiki subsidiary, and a fire at a steel plant owned by supplier Aichi Steel Corp.
"We will continue to monitor the parts supply status and decide on how to proceed with operations on each line as necessary," a Toyota spokeswoman said.
"We expect a full-scale recovery on June 6."
Toyota did not disclose the estimated impact of the suspensions.
Reporting by Naomi Tajitsu; Editing by Chris Gallagher and Christopher Cushing