ConocoPhillips has 25 percent of Surmont wells running after wildfire
By Eric M. Johnson and Nia Williams
CALGARY, Alberta (Reuters) - ConocoPhillips (COP.N: Quote) has 25 percent of wells activated at its 60,000 barrels per day Surmont oil sands project, which had been shut down as a precaution due to a massive wildfire in northern Alberta, a company executive said on Tuesday.
Conoco, the largest U.S. independent oil company, restarted production last week after a 29-day shutdown at its thermal project some 63 kilometers (35 miles) southeast of the fire-stricken town of Fort McMurray. First production started flowing on Friday.
The blaze shuttered more than a million barrels per day of crude production in the oil sands region, the world's third-largest crude reserve, though most producers are now in the process of ramping up.
"We have about 25 percent of the wells done," Perry Berkenpas, senior vice president oil sands, said in an interview at the company's offices in Calgary. Conoco said 39 of 156 wells are back on line.
"What we've been able to do is keep within safe operating windows and still ramp-up the production more aggressively than we originally planned," he said.
While he declined to provide a specific timeline for when the site would reach full pre-fire production levels, Berkenpas said it would "probably not" be by early July.
Even so, Berkenpas said the company is "absolutely on track" to reach a capacity of 150,000 bpd gross by the end of 2017. The joint venture between Conoco and Total E&P Canada was producing roughly 60,000 bpd before the fire, or 30,000 bpd net for Conoco alone.
Earlier on Tuesday the company said there was very minor damage at Surmont and the majority of its nearly 700 employees were expected on-site by the end of this week. It said it found "very minor damage" with no impact to on-going operations. Continued...