World Bank's Kim launches bid for second term as president

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By David Lawder

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - World Bank President Jim Yong Kim on Tuesday formally launched a bid for a second five-year term as head of the multilateral development lender, whose board pledged an "open, merit-based, and transparent" selection process.

Kim, a global public health expert and former Dartmouth College president, notified the board of his intention to continue in the bank's top job after his current term ends on June 30, 2017, the bank said.

The notification typically kicks off a new selection process, and the bank said it would follow criteria adopted for the 2012 selection, when Kim was first appointed president.

Nominations for the position via the bank's executive directors will open on Thursday and will close on Sept. 14.

"I have informed the Dean of the Board that I would be honored to be considered for a second term as head of the World Bank and continue to work with its dedicated staff," Kim said in a statement. "Together, we have accomplished so much over the past four years, and I would be proud to carry on this important work."

Kim already has the backing of the World Bank's largest shareholder, the United States.

"The United States fully supports Dr. Kim’s presidency at the World Bank, including the steps he’s taken to enact important reforms," a U.S. Treasury spokesman said in a statement.

No challengers have emerged for the job thus far. The World Bank's former managing director, Sri Mulyani Indrawati, had been considered a possible successor. But last month she returned to Jakarta to become Indonesia's finance minister for a second time.   Continued...

 
World Bank President Jim Yong Kim attends a meeting with India's Finance Minister Arun Jaitley (unseen) in New Delhi, India, June 30, 2016. REUTERS/Adnan Abidi