CANADA STOCKS-TSX little changed, buoyed by oil, M&A hopes
* TSX up 0.28 percent to 11,755.09
* Energy group rises as oil price firms
* End of Australian mining tax may be near after election
* Potash up 2.1 pct, among big deals in play this month
* Gold miners retreat, price of precious metal steady
By Ka Yan Ng
TORONTO, Aug 23 (Reuters) - Toronto's main stock index edged higher on Monday morning as oil prices firmed and investor sentiment rose on optimism for several big corporate merger deals.
Mining stocks also got a lift from speculation that Australia's inconclusive weekend elections could spell the end of a controversial mining tax. [ID:nAUVOTE]
Cameco CCO.TO was up 2 percent at C$27.22, while Teck Resources TCKb.TO rose 0.6 percent to C$34.55. Continued...