Sept 28 (Reuters) - Toronto’s main stock index looked set to open slightly higher on Tuesday, in line with U.S. equities, with traders focused on key U.S. economic data, including a report on consumer confidence released later in the morning.
FACTORS TO WATCH
* Canadian equity futures <0#SXF:> pointed to a higher open.
* U.S. stock index futures edged higher as traders looked ahead to key economic data in another test for the improving recovery theory that has driven stocks sharply higher this month. [.N] ECONUS
* European shares edged lower, with French tyremaker Michelin (MICP.PA) down after it unveiled a rights issue, although losses were limited on talk the ECB was buying peripheral euro zone government bonds. [.EU]
* Stocks in Asia were also down with the Nikkei closing lower 1.1 percent as the deadline passed for investors to receive dividends on stocks for the financial first half year.
COMMODITY PRICE MOVES
* The Thomson Reuters-Jefferies CRB index .CRB, a global commodities benchmark, fell 0.27 percent in early trade.
* Oil fell to below $76 a barrel ahead of U.S. reports expected to show fuel stockpiles rose in the world’s top oil-consuming nation last week. [O/R]
* Gold fell as a recovery in the U.S. dollar weighed and as investors took profits after bidding the metal up to a record $1,300 an ounce in the previous session. [GOL/]
* Copper slipped as the stronger dollar prompted a flurry of profit-taking, but strong fundamentals are expected to underpin prices as the market waits for key data from the manufacturing sector. [MET/L]
CANADIAN STOCKS TO WATCH
* Research In Motion RIM.TO: The company unveiled a tablet computer “BlackBerry PlayBook” aimed at its core business customers as it tries to gain a foothold in a fast-growing market dominated by Apple’s consumer-friendly iPad. [ID:nN27231916]
* Enbridge Inc. (ENB.TO): The company resumed pumping crude through its Line 6B pipeline on Monday, nine weeks after it ruptured in Michigan, fouling a river system and cutting oil supplies to U.S. and Canadian refiners. [ID:nN27242332]
* Intermap Technologies Corp IMP.TO: The 3D map maker on Tuesday said it further slashed 17 percent of its total workforce to cut costs. [ID:nSGE68R0GS]
* Guyana Goldfields Inc. (GUY.TO): The junior gold explorer said on Tuesday it received environmental approval for its flagship Aurora Gold project in northern Guyana. [ID:nSGE68R0GD]
Following is a summary of research actions on Canadian companies reported by Reuters. [RCH/CA]
* North Peace Energy NPE.V price target raised to C$0.25 from C$0.20; rating market perform at Raymond James
($1=$1.03 Canadian) (Reporting by Bangalore newsroom; Editing by Jeffrey Hodgson)