Miami coach welcomes NFL review of team's workplace

Mon Nov 4, 2013 6:18pm EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

MIAMI (Reuters) - Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin said on Monday he welcomes the NFL's review of the team's workplace following the ban of starting lineman Richie Incognito for conduct detrimental to the team.

The Dolphins suspended Incognito on Sunday night, hours after the National Football League team said they were looking into bullying and abuse allegations made by Miami offensive tackle Jonathan Martin.

"The NFL is going to conduct a review of the workplace," Philbin told a news conference at the Dolphins' training facility. "It's going to be comprehensive, it's going to be objective.

"As an organization we are going to give our full and complete cooperation with the NFL."

Martin, who was a second-round draft choice in 2012 out of Stanford University, left the team last week on a leave of absence. The 23-year-old had started every game of his rookie season and seven games this year.

Philbin said Martin did not inform him of problems with his teammates at the time, but that representatives of his notified him later about repeated harassment and that after gathering more information the decision was made to suspend Incognito.

Neither the Dolphins nor Philbin would elaborate on the allegations against Incognito.

On Twitter, Incognito denied wrongdoing and demanded that his name be cleared.

The incident shines a light on rookie hazing that has long been a widespread practice in the league, though not generally known to have been taken to extremes.   Continued...

Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito (68) tries to stop New England Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork (top R) from sacking Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne in the first quarter of their NFL football game in Foxborough, Massachusetts January 2, 2011. REUTERS/Brian Snyder