Troicki says his dream is over after CAS ruling
By Martyn Herman
LONDON (Reuters) - Serbia's Viktor Troicki said his dream of being a "top player" had been taken away after his ban for violating the ITF's doping regulations was reduced to 12 months from 18 on Tuesday.
The 27-year-old former world No.12 was suspended by the ITF in July for failing to provide a blood sample at the Monte Carlo Masters in April but appealed to have the decision reversed by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Troicki, who denied any wrongdoing, said he had been told at the time by a doping official that he had been excused from providing a blood sample as he was feeling unwell.
While the CAS tribunal found that Troicki's fault was "not significant" it only reduced the ban by six months, meaning he will not be able to compete again on the ATP Tour until July 15, ruling him out of three grand slam tournaments.
"I hoped that the most difficult period of my career and of my life would be over, and I really trusted the judges I met in Lausanne," Troicki said in a statement.
"I had the feeling that they were really looking for the truth and that they had found it during the hearing.
"Now this decision puts an end to my dreams of being a top player, of reaching the ATP finals and fighting against the best in the world.
"I worked my entire life for it, and it has been taken away from me in one afternoon by a doctor I didn't know." Continued...