Troicki says his dream is over after CAS ruling
By Martyn Herman
LONDON (Reuters) - Serbia's Viktor Troicki said his dream of being a "top player" had been taken away after his ban for missing a blood test was reduced to 12 months from 18 on Tuesday.
The 27-year-old former world No.12 was suspended by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) in July for failing to provide a sample at the Monte Carlo Masters in April but immediately declared his innocence and appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to overturn the ban.
Despite CAS partially upholding his appeal Troicki was disappointed with the outcome.
"I hoped that the most difficult period of my career and of my life would be over, and I really trusted the judges I met in Lausanne," Troicki said in a statement.
"I had the feeling that they were really looking for the truth and that they had found it during the hearing.
"Now this decision puts an end to my dreams of being a top player, of reaching the ATP finals and fighting against the best in the world. I worked my entire life for it, and it has been taken away from me in one afternoon by a doctor I didn't know."
Troicki's defense was that he had been told by a doping control official in Monte Carlo that he did not have to provide a blood sample because he was feeling unwell after his defeat and suffered from a needle phobia.
The official in question, Elena Gorodilova, disputes Troicki's version of events in evidence supplied to CAS, saying whether or not he was entitled to skip the blood test was "not her decision to make". Continued...