Woods backs Mickelson move to cut heavy schedule

Wed Nov 6, 2013 9:11am EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Tony Jimenez

BELEK, Turkey (Reuters) - Tiger Woods has backed fellow American Phil Mickelson's decision to cut his schedule in 2014, saying the sheer number of tournaments these days means the top players have to pick and choose where they go.

British Open champion Mickelson announced last week that he would be scaling down his appearances next year.

The five-times major winner did not indicate which events he would miss but his comments suggested the U.S. PGA Tour's money-spinning FedExCup playoff series might be on the chopping block.

"I don't blame him (for cutting down), I don't blame him at all," world number one Woods told Reuters in an interview ahead of his participation in this week's inaugural Turkish Airlines Open in the south western city of Antalya.

"I don't know what he's going to cut down, we have 15 tournaments as a minimum for voting membership (on the U.S. Tour).

"But I just think it's important to be fresh, it's important to be ready for the major championships, the World Golf Championships, the Players Championship," added Woods.

The 14-times major winner said that even when the four majors are over for the season, players still have the FedExCup to support in August and September.

"With the FedExCup at the end of the year I can see where guys are taking breaks," said Woods. "Some of the top Europeans are playing right now in this stretch through the Race to Dubai (finale) and then going down to South Africa.   Continued...

 
U.S. golfer Tiger Woods hits a shot during an event to promote the upcoming Turkish Airlines Open golf tournament, on the Bosphorus Bridge that links the city's European and Asian sides, in Istanbul November 5, 2013. REUTERS/Murad Sezer