No top player should be denied Dubai spot: Molinari

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29pm EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Tony Jimenez

BELEK, Turkey (Reuters) - Ryder Cup player Francesco Molinari joined the debate over the controversial Final Series rules on Sunday by saying no one in the top-60 of the money list should be denied a place in the season-ending event in Dubai.

The 31-year-old Italian also wants the 20 percent bonus pool money that is awarded to players who compete in all four Final Series events to be scrapped.

The European Tour's new FedExCup-style competition has been golf's hot topic in the last week and a half with leading players like Ernie Els, Sergio Garcia and Charl Schwartzel complaining the regulations are unfair.

"It's not easy to get it right first time, we saw that in America too when the FedExCup started," Molinari told Reuters in an interview during the final round of the $7 million Turkish Airlines Open.

"All four tournaments have good potential, it's a lot of money especially for the European Tour so it's just a matter of making the rules slightly better.

"I don't think anyone should be forbidden from playing at the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai even if they don't want to play in the first three events of the Final Series," said Molinari after a closing 67 gave him a share of 25th spot in Turkey.

"I don't think there's any need to say you have to play in two out of the three events before Dubai to be eligible for Dubai. If you are in the top 60 in the money list...nobody should tell you that you can't play."

South African Els, a member of the tour for almost two decades, has described the system as "farcical" while Schwartzel said this week he was thinking about his future on the circuit.   Continued...