New Jersey, Mexico and South Korea off 2014 calendar

Wed Dec 4, 2013 10:40am EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Alan Baldwin

LONDON (Reuters) - Races in New Jersey, Mexico and South Korea were dropped from Formula One's official 2014 calendar on Wednesday, with the season remaining at 19 races instead of a record 22.

All three grands prix had been listed provisionally, with asterisks against them, on a previous calendar published in September by the sport's governing International Automobile Federation (FIA).

None appeared however on the final version issued on Wednesday after a meeting of the FIA's World Motor Sports Council in Paris.

New Jersey's Grand Prix of the America, with New York's skyscraper skyline as a backdrop, had been due for a debut this year but that had to be postponed due to financial issues which continue to plague the race.

Organizers said they were working on "restructured financial arrangements" while the sport's hard-nosed commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone said he looked forward to "first-class inaugural Grand Prix of America in 2015".

"There is great demand for a race in New Jersey and I have no doubt we'll be racing at Port Imperial in 2015," Ecclestone said in a joint statement with Grand Prix of America.

"New races can take many years to get started, but there is significant momentum and we are close to realizing a New York City F1 race."

Mexico would have been making its return in November after a 22-year absence but there have been doubts over the readiness of the Mexico City track.   Continued...

 
Formula One drivers pose for a group picture ahead of the Brazilian F1 Grand Prix at the Interlagos circuit in Sao Paulo November 24, 2013. REUTERS/Nacho Doce