Woods finds good and bad in Sherwood farewell

Sun Dec 8, 2013 8:26pm EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Mark Lamport-Stokes

THOUSAND OAKS, California (Reuters) - Tournament host Tiger Woods expressed bitter-sweet feelings after he lost out in a playoff for the Northwestern Mutual World Challenge on Sunday as the elite event ended a run of 14 years in California.

Next December, the World Challenge will shift to Isleworth Country Club outside Orlando in Florida, but Woods will long treasure memories of his five previous victories here and the $25 million raised by the tournament for his foundation.

"It is very sad to obviously leave Sherwood (Country Club) because there are so many great memories for me personally," world number one Woods told reporters after being beaten at the first extra hole by fellow American Zach Johnson.

"This was the last time my dad (Earl) ever got a chance to watch me play live, and this event has always had special meaning for my father and me.

"Without this event, we wouldn't be able to build the learning center which we did down in Orange County, and over 100,000 kids have now gone through our facilities."

Woods, World Challenge champion in 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2011, had been bidding for his sixth tournament victory of 2013 but was still able to reflect on a highly successful campaign after being denied by Johnson.

"Pretty damn good year," said Woods, who won a season-high five times on the PGA Tour before being voted Player of the Year for a record 11th time.

"Five wins, and you know, on some pretty good venues, so I'm very pleased with the year."   Continued...