F1 bosses taken aback by double points storm

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:14am EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

(Please note strong language in paragraph two.)

By Alan Baldwin

JEREZ, Spain (Reuters) - Formula One may have to 'revisit' a controversial rule change awarding double points for the final race of the season because of the backlash from fans, according to Mercedes motorsport head Toto Wolff.

"I think obviously the shitstorm we got afterwards was something which was not expected," the Austrian told reporters at pre-season testing in southern Spain when asked about the decision.

"We discussed it up and down and the reason (for the decision) was that for the last years we have seen the dominance of a driver and team and the (television) audiences were not as expected.

"Was it the right move or not? Ninety nine percent of our fans and spectators, and this is what counts, told us it was the wrong move. So perhaps it is something to revisit."

Social media has been abuzz with opposition to what many see as a needless gimmick ever since the sport's rulers announced the change in December as a means of keeping the title battle open for longer.

Red Bull have won four drivers' and constructors' titles in a row, with Sebastian Vettel wrapping up his fourth straight championship with three races to spare last year.

Vettel has called the rule change 'absurd', Caterham team owner Tony Fernandes dubbed it a 'fake fix' and Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo finds it too artificial for his liking.   Continued...