Rare missed cut no real concern for Kuchar
(Reuters) - While missing his first PGA Tour cut in 18 months at last week's Northern Trust Open was disappointing for Matt Kuchar, the American says he has no real concern after trying to juggle holiday time with a new playing schedule.
Kuchar, after competing in the first two events in the PGA Tour's inaugural 'wraparound' season for 2013-14, decided to take a four-week break with his family in Hawaii before returning to action at the Northern Trust Open.
His week there finished prematurely as missed the cut at Riviera Country Club by six shots, ending a remarkable run of 30 consecutive cuts made on the PGA Tour since he failed to qualify for the weekend at the 2012 PGA Championship.
Kuchar conceded that he had arrived at Riviera "a little under-prepared" while he had also paid the price for trying to introduce a few swing changes during competition.
"I take a lot of pride in showing up and playing good golf every week," the world number 10 told reporters on Tuesday at Dove Mountain in Marana, Arizona where he will defend his WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship this week.
"I feel that's been something I've been able to do, something I do take a lot of pride in. Disappointing last week to miss the cut, and miss the cut in the fashion I did.
"I don't know if it was lack of preparation, trying to juggle the new Tour schedule with the wraparound schedule, trying to get a break. It is kind of something I'm learning."
Kuchar, a six-times winner on the PGA Tour, said he had no regrets over taking the break after posting top-10 finishes in his first two starts of the year. Continued...