Nadal brushes off bomb scare to cruise through in Miami
By Steve Keating
MIAMI (Reuters) - Unruffled by a bomb scare that locked down the Sony Open late on Tuesday, world number one Rafa Nadal brushed past Italy's Fabio Fognini 6-2 6-2 to join Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Andy Murray in the last eight.
Officials announced a suspicious package had been left near the main entrance to the sprawling tennis facility which was quickly locked down, keeping thousands of spectators from entering or leaving while Miami Dade police investigated.
The all clear was given just before Nadal stepped onto the Crandon Park center court to face Fognini in the final match of the night.
The Spaniard showed no signs of being alarmed by the bomb scare as he completed the win in 62 minutes.
"Every day I have to try to find my rhythm, try to think about myself, what I have to do well, so I just try to be focused on what I really need to do to play well," said Nadal.
"Then the opponent is free to do whatever. Tonight was not an easy match for him, for the conditions that I told you before. So it was a little bit strange, but in general, I think I was very focused and solid with my serve."
Nadal's next opponent is Canadian Milos Raonic, who beat Benjamin Becker 6-3 6-4.
"He's a very dangerous opponent," added the Spaniard. Continued...