Djokovic cruises, Nadal claims 30th clay win in a row

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:50pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

(Reuters) - Novak Djokovic lost just one game to join Roger Federer in the Monte Carlo Masters quarter-finals after Rafa Nadal breezed to his 30th consecutive win on clay on Thursday.

Nadal barely broke sweat in his 6-1 6-3 thrashing of Italy's Andreas Seppi while Federer recovered from a break of serve in the first set to beat Czech Lukas Rosol 6-4 6-1.

Champion Djokovic demolished Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta 6-0 6-1. The Serbian is on the same side of the draw as Federer and heading for a semi-final with the Swiss fourth seed.

"I've had more time, compared to last year, to practice on the clay courts and to get my game to the level where I want it to be," Djokovic told reporters.

"I've lost only two games in the first two matches. It can't be better than this, for sure."

Spaniard Nadal, whose eight-year reign as champion was ended by Djokovic in last year's final, extended his proud record in Monte Carlo to 50-2 with his win on centre court.

The world number one will meet compatriot David Ferrer in the last eight after the sixth seed made easy work of Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov, winning 6-4 6-2.

"That is going to be a very tough match," the eight-times French Open champion said about the all-Spanish duel.

"David is a tough, tough player on any surface but here on clay, (he is) always a big challenge. I play a lot of matches against him, very tough ones."   Continued...

 
Roger Federer of Switzerland reacts after defeating Lukas Rosol of the Czech Republic during the Monte Carlo Masters in Monaco April 17, 2014. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard