Two times cancer survivor Lyle ready for PGA Tour bid

Tue Jul 8, 2014 11:50pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Golf, as Mark Twain quipped, may spoil a good walk, but Australian Jarrod Lyle thinks a tough round beats chemotherapy any day of the week.

The affable 32-year-old was diagnosed in March 2012 with a recurrence of leukemia he first developed at the age of 17 and was forced to seek treatment before he returned to the course late last year in Australia.

"There's plenty of worse things that can happen than shooting 80 at a golf tournament or shooting 79 or missing a cut," Lyle told reporters on a conference call from Florida.

"There was times where I thought I was dead and thought I'd never get back out on the golf course, and there was times where I thought I don't want to play golf anymore.

"(So) if I make a triple bogey on a par four or whatever ... it's better than having a day's worth of chemo."

Lyle will begin his push for a return to the PGA Tour on the secondary Tour in Kansas City in two weeks time.

Having spent about a year recovering from the disease as a 17-year-old, Lyle was told the leukemia had returned shortly before the birth of his first child, a daughter named Lusi.

The diagnosis came when he was playing at his most consistent on the lucrative PGA Tour.

He had played seven events, made six cuts and earned more than $360,000 in prize money. The most he had earned in his four previous years full time on the tour was $422,760 from 18 events in 2010.   Continued...

Jarrod Lyle of Australia tees off on the second hole during the final round of the Northern Trust Open golf tournament at Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles, February 19, 2012. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson