'So happy' Perez sure 2015 Mexican GP will happen
By Alan Baldwin
BUDAPEST (Reuters) - Mexico will definitely be ready to host a Formula One grand prix next year after resolving the problems that prevented the country's return this season, Force India driver Sergio Perez said on Thursday.
"It's 100 percent sure that we will go to Mexico next year. No doubt about it, everything is confirmed," the Mexican told reporters at the Hungarian Grand Prix.
"Last year was...a very difficult situation due to the time we had to build the circuit (for 2014) but now there is no doubt...they already started to work on the circuit so we are definitely going there."
Mexico last hosted Formula One in 1992, when Britain's Nigel Mansell won, at Mexico City's Hermanos Rodriguez circuit and a race was provisionally included on the 2014 calendar as the penultimate round.
However, it was then dropped in December with local organizers needing more time to resolve financing issues and rebuild the historic venue.
Those obstacles appear to have been overcome now with events company CIE announcing this week that it had signed a five-year contract with Formula One's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone.
"I'm happy to announce we've concluded an agreement to have a race in 2015," Ecclestone also told the official formula1.com website. "Don't miss this race."
CIE said the deal was still subject to final negotiations but the company would invest $50 million to complete the necessary upgrades to the facility. Continued...