FIFPro calls for Suarez ban reduction as appeal takes place
By Brian Homewood
LAUSANNE (Reuters) - The world players' union FIFPro called for Luis Suarez's ban for biting to be reduced on Friday as the Uruguay and Barcelona forward’s appeal was heard at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
FIFPro said that the ban was excessive and that Suarez had been "trialled and vilified in public" for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during their World Cup match in June.
The 27-year-old has been banned from all soccer activity for four months and suspended for nine competitive internationals by FIFA following the incident which shocked audiences worldwide.
The Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) took the case to CAS, sports highest tribunal, on Suarez's behalf after losing an appeal at FIFA.
Friday's hearing was held behind closed doors at CAS headquarters in a Lausanne suburb.
"At the end of the hearing, the Panel informed the parties that it will issue its decision as soon as possible, probably before the end of next week," said CAS in a statement.
FIFPro said in a statement that "the sanctions are a disproportionate response to the offense.”
"The four-month ban from all football-related activity... is unfair for Suarez as it infringes his right to work at club level,” it said. Continued...