Suarez 'an accident waiting to happen', says Scudamore
LONDON (Reuters) - Barcelona forward Luis Suarez was an "accident waiting to happen" at former club Liverpool and the Premier League will be a better place without him, according to league chief Richard Scudamore.
Uruguay's Suarez, who was suspended from all football-related activity for four months after biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during the World Cup, joined Barca in July for a fee put at 81 million euros ($108.35 million) by local media.
His move from Liverpool follows a season where he finished as Premier League top scorer with 31 goals and won the English PFA and Football Writers' player of the year awards.
But, having already served bans for two previous biting offences and another for racially abusing then-Manchester United defender Patrice Evra, Premier League chief executive Scudamore welcomed his exit from English soccer.
"I think probably the time had come," Scudamore said of the 27-year-old forward's move, speaking at the launch of the new Premier League season on Wednesday.
"He's a great player and I'm not taking anything away from his talents: he was voted by both his own players and the media last year the player of the year and deservedly so.
"He's great to have but an accident waiting to happen, and if you spend your time trying to promote what's good about the Premier League, you're always waiting for the next thing to come along.
"And this one in the summer, although it was with Uruguay, although it didn't directly involve the Premier League, clearly it reflected on Liverpool as one of our great clubs and it reflected on us.
"He's done his time here, but I can't say I'm sorry to see him go. I think it was good business on a number of levels from Liverpool to move Suarez on." Continued...