Montezemolo says he is committed to Ferrari

Sat Sep 6, 2014 10:51am EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Alan Baldwin

MONZA Italy (Reuters) - Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo addressed rumors about his future on Saturday by emphasizing his continuing commitment to the Italian luxury sportscar maker and indicating he had no immediate plans to step down.

Speaking to reporters on a brief visit to the Italian Formula One Grand Prix, Montezemelo recognized there was speculation about his possible exit from Maranello.

"I’ve heard a lot of rumors regarding myself. This is often happening in the summer in Italy, maybe this time is a little bit too much," he said.

"I am working, I am here not to have a vacation, I am here because we are working very hard," added the 67-year-old, who has been involved with Ferrari since the 1970s.

"We have in front of us very important months, we will present a fantastic new car in the Paris motor show at the beginning of October," he said.

Montezemolo reminded the media that he had been re-appointed as chairman in March and had told shareholders and employees then that he was ready to serve three more years.

"The women and men in Ferrari to me are the most important part of my life and I took a commitment with them," he added.

"We are preparing an historic record at the end of this year in terms of financial and economic results. Ferrari is facing a fantastic moment.   Continued...

Ferrari President Luca Cordero di Montezemolo waves to the supporters from the pit wall during the third practice session of the Italian F1 Grand Prix in Monza September 6, 2014. REUTERS/Stefano Rellandini