German race looks unlikely in 2015, says Ecclestone

Mon Feb 2, 2015 3:46pm EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Alan Baldwin

LONDON (Reuters) - Germany -- home of world champions Mercedes -- looks unlikely to host a Formula One Grand Prix this year but there is still time to secure a deal, the sport's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone told Reuters on Monday.

The 84-year-old Briton was speaking after Germany's Rhein Zeitung newspaper quoted him as saying there would be no race because "the visitor numbers were so poor in recent years that it is not economically viable."

Ecclestone confirmed a fax had been sent to the paper in response to a query but denied the matter had been decided.

"Who knows? There are two places (circuits) there. Wait and see," he said.

"It's not looking can say that it (the race) looks unlikely but we are trying to rescue it. I don't want to lose it, for sure. We are trying our best."

This year's race was due to be held at the Nuerburgring under an alternation agreement that saw Hockenheim host it last season.

Ecclestone told Reuters last month that Hockenheim would host this year's July 19 race because of problems at the Nuerburgring. However, he subsequently threw doubt on that by saying no deal had been signed with any German circuit.

Both circuits have struggled financially, with Nuerburgring changing ownership last year after rebuffing a bid from Ecclestone while Hockenheim's crowd figures dwindled in 2014.   Continued...

Formula One commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone arrives at the Yas Marina circuit before the start of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix November 20, 2014. REUTERS/Caren Firouz