Mayweather to clash with Pacquiao in mega fight

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:47pm EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Mark Lamport-Stokes

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The long awaited mega bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, which has been more than five years in the making, will take place in Las Vegas on May 2, Mayweather announced on Friday.

A duel between the defence-minded Mayweather and the aggressive Pacquiao, the biggest drawcards of their generation, has been savoured by boxing fans, if only to decide the mythical title of the world's best pound-for-pound fighter.

Showtime and HBO will jointly broadcast the bout, which is one of the most eagerly anticipated in boxing since the classic 1975 'Thrilla in Manila' between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier.

However, both Mayweather, 37, and Pacquiao, 36, are in the twilight of their respective careers and most pundits say they have lost some of their skills in the ring.

"What the world has been waiting for has arrived," American Mayweather, who has a perfect record of 47-0 with 26 knockouts, said on the social networking website Shots. "Mayweather vs. Pacquiao on May 2, 2015 is a done deal.

"I promised the fans we would get this done, and we did. We will make history on May 2nd. Don't miss it!"

Mayweather made a late-night trip to Pacquiao's hotel in Miami last month to discuss the possibility of a showdown, and the Filipino southpaw, an eight-division world champion, signed the contract for the bout on Thursday.

"I am glad my decision to meet with Manny and discuss making this fight happen helped get the deal done," Mayweather said in a statement. "Giving the fans what they want to see is always my main focus.   Continued...

February 15, 2015; New York, NY, USA; Professional boxer Floyd Mayweather during halftime of the 2015 NBA All-Star Game at Madison Square Garden. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports