No criminal charges to be filed against NASCAR's Busch

Thu Mar 5, 2015 6:00pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Steve Ginsburg

(Reuters) - No criminal charges will be filed against suspended NASCAR driver Kurt Busch in a domestic abuse case involving his former girlfriend, prosecutors in Delaware said on Thursday.

Patricia Driscoll said Busch grabbed her by the neck inside his motor home at Dover International Speedway in Delaware on Sept. 26 and repeatedly slammed her head against a wall.

Bush, the 2004 Sprint Cup champion currently on an indefinite suspension by NASCAR over the incident, admits to cupping Driscoll's cheeks but said he never hit her head.

"It is determined that the admissible evidence and available witnesses would likely be insufficient to meet the burden of establishing beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Busch committed a crime," the Delaware Department of Justice said in a statement.

Busch, 36, has portrayed Driscoll, 37, as seeking revenge after he tried to end their relationship.

"I am grateful that the prosecutors in Delaware listened, carefully considered the evidence, and after a thorough investigation decided to not file criminal charges against me," Busch said in a statement.

"As I have said from the beginning, I did not commit domestic abuse. I look forward to being back in racing as soon as possible and moving on with my life."

Kent County Court Commissioner David Jones ruled last month in favor of Driscoll's request for a no-contact order, saying Busch had likely physically abused Driscoll.   Continued...

 
May 16, 2014; Indianapolis, IN, USA; IndyCar Series driver Kurt Busch sits in his car during practice for the day for the 2014 Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports