NASCAR lifts suspension of 'The Outlaw' Kurt Busch

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:25pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Steve Ginsburg

(Reuters) - NASCAR lifted its suspension of Kurt Busch on Wednesday, six days after Delaware authorities declined to bring criminal charges against him in a domestic abuse case involving the star driver's former girlfriend.

Busch, 36, was kept on "indefinite probation" but was granted a waiver to compete in the Chase for the Sprint Cup, NASCAR's playoff format, should he qualify. Busch missed the first three races of the season during his suspension.

"As we stated last week, the elimination of the possibility of criminal charges removed a significant impediment to Kurt Busch's return to full status as a NASCAR member," said NASCAR Executive Vice President Steve O’Donnell.

To participate in the Chase playoffs, a driver must attempt to qualify for all 26 NASCAR races unless granted a waiver.

Patricia Driscoll, 37, said Busch grabbed her by the neck inside his motor home at Dover International Speedway in Delaware on Sept. 26 and slammed her head against a wall.

Kent County Court Commissioner David Jones ruled last month in favor of Driscoll's request for a no-contact order, saying Busch had likely physically abused Driscoll.

The ruling prompted NASCAR to suspend Busch and forced the mercurial driver known as "The Outlaw" to miss the Daytona 500, NASCAR's premier event.

The Delaware Attorney General's Office said last Thursday it would not file criminal charges.   Continued...

 
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Kurt Busch (C) speaks to members of his crew next to his number 51 car in the garage area at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida, February 24, 2012. REUTERS/Brian Blanco