German Grand Prix still uncertain after season start

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:41am EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Alan Baldwin

LONDON (Reuters) - Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone is keeping the door ajar for German Grand Prix organizers even if this year's race looks doomed.

"I don't know at the moment," the Briton told Reuters on Monday when asked about the fate of what should be the 10th round on a 20-race championship that started in Australia on Sunday.

"There is no contract with Hockenheim. And they haven't had an agreement. Originally they were going to support it with somebody to help them with the finance. It didn't happen.

"We will have to wait for another few days to see what's happening."

The 84-year-old had been quoted previously as saying a decision would be made a week before the opening race in Melbourne.

Ecclestone confirmed that Hockenheim was the only option for the July 19 race despite it being the Nuerburgring's turn to host it under an alternation agreement.

The Briton has said Germany, which has been on the calendar every year since 1960, cannot be replaced by another race if canceled.

Hockenheim put on last year's grand prix and is also due to host it in 2016 but the circuit has made heavy losses due to poor attendances and is unwilling to shoulder the burden for three years in a row.   Continued...

Red Bull Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel of Germany speeds at the German F1 Grand Prix at the Hockenheim racing circuit, July 20, 2014.  REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski