Mayweather makes U-turn, says no to Pacquiao re-match
By Mark Lamport-Stokes
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Two days after saying he would be open to a re-match with Manny Pacquiao, unbeaten American Floyd Mayweather Jr. reversed course on Thursday while describing the Filipino as "a sore loser".
In an interview with Showtime to be broadcast on Saturday, Mayweather expressed his disgust that Pacquiao had blamed an injured right shoulder for his defeat by the American in the so-called "Fight of the Century" in Las Vegas.
Pacquiao, the former eight-division world champion, lost a unanimous decision to Mayweather on Saturday in the richest prize fight ever before undergoing successful arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder four days later.
"I'm not going to buy into the bull--- ... and I don't want the public to buy into the bull----," Mayweather said in a sampling of quotes released by Showtime on Thursday.
"He lost. He knows he lost. I lost a lot of respect for him after all of this."
Asked by Showtime whether he had noticed Pacquiao being hampered by his shoulder during their 12-round bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Mayweather replied: "Absolutely not."
He then added: "He was fast. His left hand was fast. His right hand was fast and he was throwing them both fast and strong. Excuses, excuses."
Barely one hour after the contest ended, Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, said the 36-year-old southpaw had been troubled by a previous injury to his right shoulder. Continued...