Horner shocked by rumors about future

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:18am EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Alan Baldwin

LONDON (Reuters) - Red Bull principal Christian Horner has shrugged off speculation about his future and said he is determined to stay on to help the troubled Formula One team resolve their problems.

The Times newspaper reported on Tuesday that one of Horner's rival principals had called him on Sunday morning, before the Austrian Grand Prix, to commiserate about his supposed departure.

The unidentified boss had been given the impression that Austrian Gerhard Berger, a former McLaren and Ferrari driver who is close to Red Bull's billionaire owner Dietrich Mateschitz, was set to replace the Briton.

"I was shocked," Horner said.

"I had no idea people were talking about me that way. I have a long contract with the team. It is difficult but I had dinner with Dietrich on Saturday evening and we still get along very well.

"We know we have problems but we just have to work through them and I am here to do that job."

Red Bull, winners of four successive driver and constructor championships between 2010 and 2013, have yet to feature on the podium this season.

The relationship with under-performing engine partners Renault has been stretched to breaking point while Mateschitz has talked of falling out of love with the sport.   Continued...

 
Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner arrives for practice.
Reuters / Max Rossi