Formula One rejects alternative engine proposal

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:29am EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Alan Baldwin

ABU DHABI (Reuters) - Formula One manufacturers have agreed to come up with a plan to reduce the cost of power units and ensure no team is left without one after rejecting a proposal to introduce an alternative engine.

The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement that there had been four credible expressions of interest from companies interested in supplying a cheaper alternative engine from 2017.

The proposal had, however, failed to win approval at meetings at the FIA's Paris headquarters on Tuesday.

"The F1 Commission voted not to pursue this option at this stage -- however, it may be reassessed after the Power Unit manufacturers have presented their proposal to the Strategy Group," the FIA said on Wednesday.

It added that the discussions in the Strategy Group, which includes the six leading teams as well as commercial rights holder and governing body, and wider Formula One commission were 'constructive'.

Formula One has four engine makers -- Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda with the first two some way ahead of the others -- supplying the 10 teams.

"The parties involved have agreed on a course to address several key areas relating to Power Unit supply in Formula One," the FIA statement said.

It listed the four main items as a guaranteed supply, a reduction of the cost for customer teams, simplification of the technical specification and improved noise.   Continued...