Motor racing: Dennis fighting McLaren move - Ecclestone
By Alan Baldwin
SAO PAULO (Reuters) - McLaren chief executive Ron Dennis is fighting a move by other shareholders to force him out, Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone said on Saturday.
Ecclestone told Reuters at the Brazilian Grand Prix that he feared the 69-year-old Briton, whose team are the sport's second most successful despite not having won a race for four years, may have lost the battle already.
"There was a court case yesterday where he wanted to overturn what had happened and he lost the case unfortunately which is a pity because we don't want to lose Ron," Ecclestone said.
Asked whether that meant Dennis was effectively out, he replied: "Apparently so, yes. I think he's appealing so he may win the appeal".
Sky News reported on Friday that Bahrain's sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat and Saudi-born businessman Mansour Ojjeh, who between them hold 75 percent of the shares, wanted to oust Dennis.
The report said an unidentified consortium of Chinese investors had made a 1.65 billion pounds ($2.08 billion) takeover bid for McLaren Technology Group that Dennis supported but the other shareholders opposed.
Sky cited sources as saying Dennis had failed to secure a High Court injunction against a move to sideline him until his contract expired in mid-January, and an emergency board meeting had been convened.
The F1 team's racing director Eric Boullier declined questions about the situation in Brazil. Continued...