FIFA ethics chiefs agree next step for 2018/2022 report
By Brian Homewood
ZURICH (Reuters) - FIFA ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert and investigator Michael Garcia have met for the first time since their public disagreement and agreed a report into the 2018/2022 World Cups bid process should be further reviewed.
They decided on Thursday that Garcia's report on his investigation into the turbulent bidding process would be sent to the chairman of FIFA's audit and compliance committee, Domenico Scala, who would in turn decide how much of the report should be sent to the FIFA executive committee.
They also confirmed that the ethics committee had opened a number of formal cases against individuals following Garcia's 18-month investigation which produced a 430-page report.
Eckert, head of the ethics committee's adjudicatory chamber, said in a 42-page statement last week there were no grounds to reopen the bidding process which led to Russia and Qatar getting the tournaments run by FIFA, world soccer's governing body.
But FIFA was plunged into chaos when Garcia said shortly afterwards that Eckert's statement on his report contained misrepresentations and he would appeal to FIFA's appeal committee. Thursday's statement did not make any reference to that appeal.
FIFA and Qatar World Cup organizers have been fending off allegations of corruption ever since the Gulf state was awarded the 2022 tournament.
Qatar, which has repeatedly denied the allegations, has also been criticised over its treatment of migrant workers in the construction industry.