Davies double kills Henry's MLS dream

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:21pm EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

(Reuters) - Charlie Davies scored twice as the New England Revolution reached the MLS Cup, the league's title game, after Saturday's 2-2 draw with the New York Red Bulls gave them a 4-3 aggregate win in the Eastern Conference final.

The Revolution will face the winner of the Western Conference in the final. The L.A. Galaxy hold a 1-0 lead from the first leg when they travel to Seattle on Sunday.

For France's Thierry Henry, it was likely his final game for the Red Bulls and possibly of his career - the 37-year-old's contract concludes at the end of the season and he has given no indication he will extend it.

Henry had hoped to bow out by delivering New York's first MLS title but, without suspended top scorer Bradley Wright-Phillips, they fell just short in a pulsating encounter.

New York, who lost 2-1 at home in the first leg, took the lead in the 26th minute when Henry floated the ball in and Australian forward Tim Cahill poked home, taking advantage of hesitation from Revolution defender Jose Goncalves.

A 41st minute Davies header from a Chris Tierney cross leveled the scores on the day and restored New England's aggregate advantage.

But the Red Bulls fought back through a 52nd minute goal when Peguy Luyindula drove home a loose ball from a muffed clearance by New England defender Andrew Farrell to level the aggregate score and raise the prospect of extra-time.

New York should have grabbed the outright lead when Henry delivered an inch-perfect cross to Cahill but he was badly off-target with his volley.

With 20 minutes left New England delighted the 32,698 crowd as Tierney picked out Davies again with a fine cross and the American striker powered in a header.   Continued...

Nov 29, 2014; Foxborough, MA, USA; New England Revolution forward Charlie Davies (9) celebrates his goal against the against the New York Red Bulls during the first half of the Eastern Conference Championship at Gillette Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports