Motor racing: Button waits as McLaren fail to decide

Thu Dec 4, 2014 12:25pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Alan Baldwin

LONDON (Reuters) - Jenson Button waited for news about his Formula One future on Thursday as the McLaren board failed to decide who will partner Spaniard Fernando Alonso in their 2015 driver lineup.

While Alonso has yet to be confirmed, despite leaving Ferrari, his return to Woking is taken for granted within the sport.

That leaves 34-year-old Button and current team mate Kevin Magnussen scrapping for the second seat, with the 22-year-old Danish rookie seen by some as offering more potential than the 2009 world champion.

Asked at a sponsor event in Edinburgh whether he expected to be retained, Button smiled: "That's a question I still can't answer," he replied.

"I don't know when we will find out. I think for all of our sakes it's better sooner rather than later," he told Sky Sports television.

"I'm here with Kevin today as well, we spent the last couple of days together...we've had some interesting conversations," added the Briton.

McLaren group head Ron Dennis told reporters after the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that the board would decide.

A McLaren spokesman said after the meeting, however, that no decision had been taken about the driver lineup.   Continued...

 
McLaren Formula One driver Jenson Button of Britain drives during the third free practise session of Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix at the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi November 22, 2014. REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed