Tomic slams 'disrespectful' Tennis Australia, 'actor' Rafter

Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:18pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

(Reuters) - Bernard Tomic launched a blistering tirade against Tennis Australia and its head of performance Pat Rafter after his third round exit at Wimbledon on Friday.

The attack came after former world number one Rafter said he would end funding for players in their 20s and that Tomic's sister Sara would also have her funding cut off because of the uncooperative attitude of their father John.

Tomic accused Tennis Australia chief executive Craig Tiley and president Steve Healy of neglecting him and Rafter of being an "good actor".

"Don't get me wrong," the 22-year-old said after his loss to defending champion Novak Djokovic. "A lot of money was invested in me, for sure. But whatever they invested in me, they got in return 10, 20 times more. That's 100 percent certain.

"Now all of a sudden, they are neglecting me, for some reason. They are not supporting me, not respecting me."

The world number 26 gave as examples the fact that Tennis Australia had not called him when he had hip surgery last year and that he had been forced to pay for court time and balls when he was preparing for the season-opening Brisbane International.

"What's going on? Where is the support? How can you do this?" he asked.

    "It's not about the money. It's about the respect."

"Really, guys," he added. "You should be aware these guys down in Tennis Australia, Tiley, Healy, these guys, no one knows what they are doing, but they are doing not so good things."   Continued...

 
Bernard Tomic of Australia hits a shot during his match against Novak Djokovic of Serbia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 3, 2015.            REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett