Zico's FIFA bid gets lukewarm backing from CBF

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:15pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Andrew Downie

SAO PAULO (Reuters) - Zico has been promised the backing of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) for his bid to run for the FIFA presidency if he can show he has the support of four other federations.

The former Brazil international visited the CBF headquarters in Rio de Janeiro and met president Marco Polo del Nero on Thursday in an attempt to get his candidacy off the ground.

"Zico has our support to look into a candidacy. If he can get the other four signatures, the CBF will endorse his request," Del Nero said in a statement published by the CBF.

Del Nero added that he had been in touch with Juan Angel Napout, president of the South American Football Confederation (Conmebol).

"I told Napout that we have an illustrious Brazilian with the intention of running for the FIFA presidency," he said.

Zico said he was happy with the response, even though it was conditional and appeared lukewarm.

"As a Brazilian I couldn't start this without hearing from my own confederation," he said.

"Having got their support it gives us motivation to go ahead. It's one step at a time and the first step was taken and it was a good one."   Continued...

Former Brazil soccer player Zico arrives for a news conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June 10, 2015.  REUTERS/Pilar Olivares