FIFA approaches former IOC official Carrard for reform role
By Simon Evans
ZURICH (Reuters) - Former International Olympic Committee (IOC) director general Francois Carrard has been asked by scandal-plagued global soccer body FIFA to head its Reform Task Force, the Swiss lawyer told Reuters on Thursday.
"I have been approached and I will make a decision next week," said the 77-year-old Carrard, who was IOC director general from 1989 to 2003, when that organization dealt with its own corruption scandal.
FIFA announced last month the creation of a new reforms task force. It will be made up of ten members nominated by the body’s regional confederations and will be headed by a person from outside of the sport.
The Zurich-based FIFA has been in a crisis since May, when nine soccer officials and five marketing executives were charged by the U.S. Justice Department in an indictment that outlined massive corruption, including bribes and kickbacks of more than $150 million over 24 years.
In the wake of the scandal, FIFA's 79-year-old President Sepp Blatter has said he will stand down next February.
Carrard was at the organizational helm of the IOC during its own multi-million dollar corruption crisis centered on the bidding process for the 2002 Winter Olympics, which was won by Salt Lake City in the United States.
After years of suspicion over the way the Games were awarded, the case burst into the open after Swiss IOC member Marc Hodler exposed widespread corruption among fellow members.
Some had sold their votes to Salt Lake City in exchange for, among other things, college scholarships, tuition fees, skiing holidays and cash bribes. Continued...