Los Angeles Olympic bid is a 'new start' for all: mayor

Thu Sep 3, 2015 9:00am EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Karolos Grohmann

BERLIN (Reuters) - Los Angeles' 2024 summer Olympics bid will be a new start for the United States as it attempts to land the first summer Games since 1996 and put the disappointment of Boston's failed effort behind it, the city's mayor said on Thursday.

The United States Olympic Committee (USOC), which had picked Boston over Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington earlier this year, was under mounting pressure to deliver an American bid after the Massachusetts capital pulled out in late July over financial concerns.

"This is a brand new start for everybody," Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti told a conference call after a meeting with the International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach at the Olympic body's headquarters in Lausanne on Thursday.

The meeting took place less than 48 hours after Garcetti's announcement in Los Angeles of the candidacy to bring the Games back to the sprawling Californian metropolis on the Pacific ocean for a third time after 1932 and 1984.

"It was important for us to show that Los Angeles, at the beginning of this contest, has thought our bid through," Garcetti said.

"Any campaign is about relationships," he added, preferring a "face-to-face" meeting with the IOC President, whose organization will elect the winner in 2017.

Rome, Paris, Germany's Hamburg and Hungarian capital Budapest have so far also announced their candidacies. The deadline for bids is Sept. 15.

The United States have bid before with Chicago and New York failing in previous attempts before the latest Boston debacle.   Continued...

 
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti speaks during a news conference after meeting with the family of Ezell Ford at City Hall in Los Angeles, California, June 9, 2015. REUTERS/Patrick T. Fallon