Mayweather denies violation before Pacquiao bout

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:35pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Mark Lamport-Stokes

LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - The build-up to Saturday's welterweight fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Andre Berto has been rocked by suggestions of a doping violation four months ago, an allegation flatly denied by Mayweather on Thursday.

According to a report by SB Nation, Mayweather allegedly received an intravenous injection of saline and vitamins, that was banned under World Anti-Doping Agency guidelines, on the eve of his megabout with Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas on May 2.

However, Mayweather said in a statement that he "did not commit any violations" and he was fully supported by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) earlier on Thursday.

"As already confirmed by the USADA statement, I did not commit any violations of the Nevada or USADA drug testing guidelines," said Mayweather, who beat Pacquiao on a unanimous decision to improve his perfect record to 48-0.

"I follow and have always followed the rules of Nevada and USADA, the gold standard of drug testing.

"Let's not forget that I was the one six years ago who insisted on elevating the level of drug testing for all my fights. As a result, there is more drug testing and awareness of its importance in the sport of boxing today than ever before."

According to the SB Nation report, USADA collection agents visited Mayweather's house in Las Vegas the night before his May 2 fight to conduct an unannounced drug test and discovered that he had been given an IV for rehydration purposes.

  Continued...

 
Undefeated WBC/WBA welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. speaks during a news conference at MGM Grand Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas September 9, 2015.  REUTERS/Las VegasSun/Steve Marcus