Oosthuizen withdraws from East Lake with injury

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:24pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Larry Fine

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa withdrew from the elite Tour Championship after 13 holes of Thursday's first round because of a hamstring injury, and was concerned about his readiness for the upcoming Presidents Cup.

Oosthuizen, the 2010 British Open champion, was five over par when he was carted off at East Lake Golf Club.

The 32-year-old South African, who also had his wrist drained on Wednesday to treat a cyst, said he had been bothered by the hamstring earlier in the week but felt fine at the beginning of the opening round.

"Starting the round I didn't even feel it, I didn't even know about it," he said. "But after five or six holes, I started feeling it immediately and started walking slower and just every hole it got worse and worse and worse."

He said that by the 13th hole "I started swinging it different because I felt I struggled to go through on the leg and that's when I decided to withdraw".

Oosthuizen said the wrist did not give him any problem on the course, but the South African was concerned about his availability for the Oct. 8-11 Presidents Cup in South Korea.

"It was getting worse and once it gets to a point where you don't swing it proper, it's no point in playing. That's when you start losing confidence and you start hurting other things," he said.

Oosthuizen said the hamstring casts some doubt over his plans to compete on the European Tour in Scotland next week.   Continued...

Aug 13, 2015; Sheboygan, WI, USA; Louis Oosthuizen hits his tee shot on the 10th hole during the first round of the 2015 PGA Championship golf tournament at Whistling Straits. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports