Presidential candidate Chung says FIFA should still run football

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:12am EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Sohee Kim

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korean FIFA presidential candidate Chung Mong-joon insists soccer's embattled governing body is still the right organisation to run the world's most popular sport, but only if the current leadership is ousted.

In a statement pushing his case that he was the right man to lead change, Chung said he supported the ongoing investigations taking place into alleged corruption in FIFA, but believed the running of the sport should not be given to "outsiders".

"The most urgent task at hand is to root out corruption from within FIFA," he said.

"Justice must be served. Resuscitating FIFA, however, should be left to those who love football. The future of football should not be left in the hands of outsiders."

Chung, the 63-year-old billionaire scion of South Korea's Hyundai industrial conglomerate, formally announced last month that he was running for the FIFA presidency.

The incumbent, Sepp Blatter, is to stand down in February.

Chung has been heavily critical of Blatter, who has run FIFA for the past 17 years and recently become the focus of a criminal investigation.

Blatter has denied any wrongdoing and has not been charged with any crimes.   Continued...

 
FIFA presidential candidate Chung Mong-joon speaks during a news conference in Seoul, South Korea, September 3, 2015. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji