Blatter's daughter says he will quit FIFA in February: paper

Sun Oct 4, 2015 6:35am EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

GENEVA (Reuters) - Sepp Blatter, facing a criminal investigation as part of football's corruption scandal, will "definitely not" stay on as president of the FIFA governing body after the election of a new leader in February, his daughter said.

His former public relations adviser Klaus Stoehlker said last week that Blatter had not ruled out trying to stay on as head of world football beyond the Feb. 26 vote.

But Corinne Blatter-Andenmatten said in an interview published by Swiss newspaper Blick am Sonntag on Sunday there was "no way" he would continue, and at some point he would publish his memoirs.

"I know he wants to quit, and he will do it," she said.

Major football sponsors on Friday issued coordinated calls for the immediate resignation of Blatter, who is being investigated by the Swiss on suspicion of criminal mismanagement and misappropriation of funds.

Blatter, who denies wrongdoing, said through his U.S. lawyer he would not resign as it was not in FIFA's best interest.

The scandals surrounding global football exploded in May, when 14 officials and sports marketing executives were indicted on U.S. charges of racketeering, money laundering and wire fraud in relation to bribery schemes that dated back decades.

February's election was set after Blatter announced in June that he was standing down, just days after winning a fifth term.

Since then, the question of whether Blatter, 79, really will quit has hung over FIFA.   Continued...

 
FIFA President Sepp Blatter arrives attends a media briefing to discuss the Confederations Cup and the latest preparations for next year's World Cup finals in Brazil, in Rio de Janeiro in a July 1, 2013 file photo. REUTERS/Sergio Moraes/Files