FIFA Presidential candidate Chung Mong-joon 'facing suspension'

Tue Oct 6, 2015 1:19am EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Jee Heun Kahng

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea's Chung Mong-joon has said he is facing a 15-year suspension by FIFA's Ethics Committee that has "sabotaged" his campaign for the FIFA Presidency, but he denied any wrongdoing and vowed to continue his bid to lead soccer's world governing body.

Speaking at a news conference in Seoul on Tuesday, Chung read out a nine-page statement, addressing the charges against him, which he dismissed as a ploy "to prevent me from running for the President of FIFA."

"The fundamental reason why I am being targeted is that I aimed straight at the existing power structure of FIFA," Chung said.

Bound by confidentiality rules, FIFA's Ethics Committee has not made any statements on Chung's case and there was no immediate response to his comments on Tuesday.

Chung said he was being charged with violating six articles from FIFA's Code of Ethics, which he said stemmed from his "support" for South Korea's 2022 World Cup bid and his proposal to launch a Global Football Fund (GFF).

"Ethics committee is not charging me with criminal offense, and it is not charging me with 'bribery,' 'corruption' or 'conflict of interest,' he said.

"All that the ethics committee is relying on is that I have not fully 'cooperated' or 'collaborated' with the investigation and that I had violated 'confidentiality' requirements."

Chung said his proposals for the establishment of a GFF were in line with FIFA's rules at the time and had already been investigated and cleared.   Continued...

 
FIFA presidential candidate Chung Mong-joon speaks during a news conference in Seoul, South Korea, September 3, 2015. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji