FIFA reform committee keeps plans under wraps
By Brian Homewood
BERNE (Reuters) - FIFA's reform committee kept its plans for overhauling the scandal-plagued organization's structure under wraps after its second meeting on Sunday, saying only that discussions had been "rich and in-depth".
Francois Carrard, the committee’s chairman, said he would present concrete recommendations to FIFA's executive committee on Tuesday and that progress was "on track".
FIFA is facing unprecedented pressure to reform its governance structure following the May indictment by U.S. authorities of nine current and former football officials on bribery-related charges. Many had served on FIFA's executive committee or other FIFA committees.
Swiss public prosecutors are also investigating the decision to award the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar, both taken at a vote in Zurich in December 2010.
The crisis escalated further on Oct. 8 when both FIFA president Sepp Blatter and UEFA president Michel Platini, who had been favorite to succeed him, were banned for 90 days by FIFA's ethics committee, pending a full investigation.
FIFA will hold an extraordinary Congress in Zurich on Feb. 26 when its 209 member associations will elect a new president and vote on reforms.
There was no media conference after Sunday's meeting in Berne and the committee issued a short statement which gave no concrete details of what had been discussed.
"It’s been a very positive session characterized by rich and in-depth discussions on all aspects of the proposal for the reforms package which is being prepared," Carrard said in the statement. Continued...