Blatter, Platini lose appeals against provisional FIFA bans

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:17am EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Michael Shields

ZURICH (Reuters) - Suspended FIFA president Sepp Blatter and European soccer chief Michel Platini have lost their appeals against provisional 90-days bans by the global soccer body's ethics committee, FIFA said on Wednesday.

Blatter and Platini, who had been favorite to take over in February's FIFA presidential election, were suspended on Oct. 8, engulfed by a deepening corruption scandal as the sport faces criminal investigations in Switzerland and the United States.

The decision by the FIFA Appeal Committee, which rejected the appeals "in full", was a further blow to Frenchman Platini's hopes of standing on Feb. 26. The electoral committee has said his registration will not be processed while he is suspended.

The former France captain and coach, who is not allowed to campaign or engage in any football-related activities until his suspension is lifted, said he would appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

"Michel Platini has full confidence that the CAS will restore all his rights," said a statement issued by his spokesman. "Meanwhile, he remains a composed and determined candidate for the FIFA presidency.

"The decision comes as no surprise," the statement said. "It confirms that FIFA, through its internal bodies, is conducting a one-sided, unfair and biased investigation against Michel Platini, repeatedly violating his right to defend himself."

If Platini wins his appeal at the CAS, the electoral committee has said it would review his case but there is no guarantee he would be able to stand in the election as it would depend on the timing.


FIFA President Sepp Blatter (R) speaks with UEFA President Michel Platini at the 65th FIFA Congress in Zurich, Switzerland, May 29, 2015. REUTERS/Ruben Sprich